Friday, July 11, 2014

Reflection

So in the end, you just get on a plain, put your bike together, start pedaling and deal with whatever happens when it happens. Sometimes you loose yourself in the highs, other times you desperately look for a way out when you're crying and want to go home, 3 days into the trip. There is no way to foresee these happenings.

8368 kilometers or 5200 miles I bycicled through swamps, deserts, mountains, icy areas, urban and desolated fields. I can't help but feel a tide rip of nostalgia wash far off and tremendously close by faded and fresh memories on newly discovered shores. Places I didn't know the existence off, inside and out, opened up to me, showed me their passion, beauty and uniqueness.
I found myself surprised, intrigued, ecstatic, sad, loved, out of breath and cracked open in a smile. Talking to people, strangers, friends, fauna, landscapes and to myself.

This journey through time, I escalated on a different dimension, on a counter-cultural wave. Traveling slow, nomadic, I got lifted and carried away, cared for and consorted. Homeless, I don't think so. Not all those who wonder are lost (J.R.R. Tolkien).  

Cycling for 1000s of miles, I found in myself a bundle of cheer and joy, a lust for life. And when I let my thoughts absentmindedly hover over the widespread ocean, I wonder why it is I don't feel more excitement on this final float to end-destination. But a sudden stir and single tear of elation make me realize I'm not done yet. This is not the end but merely the beginning of a life on a journey in search of a story. In the end, it's not the years of your life that count, but the life in your years (A. Lincoln).

It was a pleasure sharing my adventures, encounters, lessons and beliefs with you. Maybe we'll meet again, but for now it is Adieu. 

Love,
Fien 


2 comments:

  1. Man... what a journey. And what an inspiring blog Fien! We loved reading your epic posts once Thierry & Ruth told us about it. In a way they triggered our imagination like we were there with you. It was one crazy trip that most of all shows the true nature of people... kind, helpful, loving, social, persistent,... We hope that this life experience shows you and many other readers what people are capable of and that this is the start of many other trips to come. We couldn't agree more with your A. Lincoln quote in the end, because that's exactly what life's about. Looking forward to your next trip and keep blogging! Sanne & Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fien, ik heb ongeveer hetzelfde idee om de States te doorkruisen op mijn fiets. Ik heb al heel wat van je gelezen, maar zit nog met een heleboel vragen. Is er een manier waarop ik jou kan contacteren?

    Merci alvast.

    Warme groet,

    Wouter

    ReplyDelete