Monday, March 17, 2014

Part One

Hi All!

My apologies for the wait but here we go, the first update of what seems to be an epic adventure in a lot of ways, especially on the unforeseen side.
So I landed all right although they forgot to transfer my bike and I had to wait some time for it to reach me on a next flight. "No problem ma'am, we'll get it delivered to your hotel, no problem". Okay, problem it is as there is no hotel and no way of leaving the airport for me as the bike is my means of travel. It got there at the end and happily cycled to my first warm shower address, in the dark, in a nothing-but-car-accustomed-airport-scenery. Reminded me a bit of that one time hitting the highway in Budapest to reach our get-out-of-here goal. Not for pleasure that's for sure. Anyway, made it out alright and made it to a bunch of great inspiring people to kick off my cycling trip.

Don't want to waste any words on Miami which was not so great for a travel-cycler. In a nutshell, big, busy and beaches. Day 1: 143 km. Passed out at the end of the day in a public state park and hit the road again early morning.

So far I cycled 4 days of long, big roads in the heat. Nothing romantic about that. I got sunburned, chatted to by friendly strangers, camped out in beautiful parks, seen a lot of strange cool big and small birds, trees and flowers. Although the cycling part goes really well, I'm not doing very ok with the solitary part, got to me a bit harder than I expected it to. Had a mentally break down (already) on a day of terribly headwinds.

I'm with my beautiful friend Diana now in Orlando. Set up my camp around her couch and deciding on my next move. Am I really going through with this? How will I not end up blunted by these long kilometers by myself? Should I change the plan? I let you know soon!

Lots of love.

And as I'm staying with the trivia-queen of Florida, here's what I learned so far:

- A harvest moon is a full moon that only occurs one time a year in September.
- Mike O. Bryan is waiting for me in his cycle shop in Savannah, Georgia, with free pizza.
- Bears live out of the trash-cans in your backyard in Florida.
- However fat a kid, you can get it in a tree if you really wanted to.  
- If you catch yourself off guard cycling a highway, keep cool, poker face your way to the other side (yes I am a girl on a bicycle crossing highway lanes) and make a safe exit.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, zalig! Ik heb toch een paar keer luidop moeten lachen :D
    Ik ben blij dat alles goed gaat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it lunatic to ride this journey through the US? No
    Is it lunatic to ride on your own? No
    Is it lunatic to get sunburned and sandblown while other lie at the beach? No

    It is so nice to read about the friendly strangers you meet, the birds you hear and see, the campparks you sleep in.

    Buy a sketchbook and some pencils and when the cycling beats you to hard and the solitariness talks to hard to you, stop and sketch the environment, the trees and silly cars, the campers and the mountains and take your time before you start cycling again.

    Peter

    Against the wind (Bob Seger)

    "It seems like yesterday
    But it was long ago
    Janey was lovely she was the queen of my nights
    There in the darkness with the radio playing low
    And the secrets that we shared
    The mountains that we moved
    Caught like a wildfire out of control
    'Til there was nothing left to burn and nothing left to prove
    And I remember what she said to me
    How she swore that it never would end
    I remember how she held me oh so tight
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then

    Against the wind
    We were runnin' against the wind
    We were young and strong, we were runnin'
    Against the wind

    The years rolled slowly past
    And I found myself alone
    Surrounded by strangers I thought were my friends
    I found myself further and further from my home
    And I guess I lost my way
    There were oh so many roads
    I was living to run and running to live
    Never worryied about paying or even how much I owed
    Moving eight miles a minute for months at a time
    Breaking all of the rules that would bend
    I began to find myself searching
    Searching for shelter again and again

    Against the wind
    A little something against the wind
    I found myself seeking shelter sgainst the wind

    Well those drifter's days are past me now
    I've got so much more to think about
    Deadlines and commitments
    What to leave in, what to leave out

    Against the wind
    I'm still runnin' against the wind
    I'm older now but still runnin' against the wind
    Well I'm older now and still runnin'
    Against the wind
    Against the wind
    Against the wind

    Still runnin'
    I'm still runnin' against the wind
    I'm still runnin'
    I'm still runnin' against the wind
    Still runnin'
    Runnin' against the wind
    Runnin' against the wind
    See the young man run
    Watch the young man run
    Watch the young man runnin'
    He'll be runnin' against the wind
    Let the cowboys ride
    Let the cowboys ride
    They'll be ridin' against the wind
    Against the wind ..."

    ReplyDelete