Monday, May 5, 2014

Anyway the wind blows

Bad weather kept me indoors for a full day. The news talked about a "half-mile wide deadly twister that ripped houses from their foundations and flipped cars" and "pretty bad weather for travelling" (and by that they mean in a car). That night we had 30 500 lightning strikes in the area. So I lay low and enjoyed sharing a day in the life of a wonderful couple involved in arts, crafts and to various social commitments. I watched the Derby bed race. Let's say I'm not crazy, at all.

When I moved again, the cold front carried around by the storms stuck with me for a few days. And while I can handle chill, I can't handle severe headwinds, multiple days in a row. Somebody told me that headwinds take away the things you don't need. So that positive thought joined me for a blink of a second before it got blown away, as well. And mind me, I do need my head, which these winds were really keen on tugging off. These times I can't even think anything, I don't hear my own thoughts, the wind is so overwhelmingly loud and present. Frustration for sure and the grey skies did not light me up either.      

One day I ate something bad, I guess, and felt off all day, with bad aching in my stomach up to a point I had difficulty breathing. A thousand knifes pierced my stomach when I tried to inhale, and inhaling is what I did, fighting hills in tyrannizing headwinds. At one point I threw myself down on a little gravel side street. I spilled tears on that gravel being alone, by myself, in pain, in the never silencing wind.

My luck did not run out in the overnights though. I invited myself inside(!) a couple of churches to spend the night. Which was great. And a little weird. But more so very nice. One evening I was sheltering in a pavilion next to a church and mentally preparing myself for that last mile to a campground. The guy in the hotdog-shack adjacent to the pavilion waved me inside. After chatting with him, I found out he was next to a snack-seller also the priest and key-carrier of the church. Check.

And eventually the bad weather moved away, as I jumped a time-zone and another state: Illinois.

1 comment: