Friday, April 18, 2014

North Carolina - Family Time

North Carolina I did not do by myself. Faith on a ferry brought me a friend, Louis, and his cute little dog Sprocket. This little family made its way through Southern State North-Carolina. The miracle meeting happened after I camped out at a police station ("You know where to find the safest place in the county!" and "Jeezs girl, don't you have a car?" These nice policemen would tell me). On another night I got under cat-attack at a camping ground (gotta get out of here!!).

Hanging out with Louis and Sprocket basically shock-shifted my food (and intertwined, nutrition) intake (he has a stove!), he took me on a walk on America's wild side ("Wild camping? Yeah sure, I do it all the time, I'll show you"), we discussed bicycle, burial, food and animal matters and we laughed like I remember doing in elementary school, with tears and all that. Further more I'm sure my trail-mix-English improved by being around him, I know now what a Gazebo is and is not. We shared 10 cycling days together, shared our Warm Shower addresses and picked turns finding sleeping-spots when no Warm Shower was listed for the night and a little freaky we even share the same birthday ... 

We cycled together through HISTORY (Roanoke Island with the first settlers - Kitty Hawk with the Wright Brothers who flew the first plane - Breakfast in WWII style with bombing jets flying over), through NATURE (Wild camping in Alligator Reserve, luckily we only found out the day after that ten bears were roaming the place - full living and dead flat turtles - hurricanes) and through SPORTS and RECREATION areas (no more secrets in Disk Golf to me!) and made good timing boarding ferries (gotta love the ferries!). These days I got men cooking for me all the time (Louis as well as Warm Shower hosts), hmm I might even get used to this life ...
Days flew by (in proper tail-wind-style), it is for sure nice to ride with company. Before I fully realized we hit Richmond which brought an end to my Atlantic Coast adventure en to our time together (Louis is hitting all 4 corners of the States, going up north to Maine next).

But before we split up I got myself a nice warm sleeping bag to keep me warm in the mountains. Appalachians coming up next ... you ready?!

No comments:

Post a Comment