Tuesday, April 15, 2014

South Carolina - Back on Track

After spotting a gator from on top of a watchtower, I found myself lost and confused in Savannah. My all-set sleeping spot for the night got lost in translation so there was no way for me but to keep on cycling, while I was exhausted, and the sun was going down, all of a sudden, really fast. Got a bit nervous there. Where will I lay down my head this night? I entered a nature reserve, stretched out for miles and miles with no sign of the living or any civilization whatsoever. Maybe just throw my tent down somewhere over here, on the side of the road? Not exactly loaded with options am I? Bit swampy though, wait where am I? Hmm 'Alligator Alley', maybe reconsider the throwing down of the tent. OK, keep on swimming I guess. Finally I entered some kind of suburb-civilization and ended up staying at a pet-resort (so this is how animal-holiday feels like, did not catch much sleep that night ...).

Meanwhile I still didn't really fully believe in what I was doing. Cycling the States by myself, really?
I passed long long roads, beautiful and mysterious black water swamps, encountered the first hillies of my trip, got tired, sat down, savored a brownie, and got familiar with some physical trouble: knee pain.
Luckily I stranded in breath-taking Charleston (at Joe's house, a pediatrician with a lot of miles in his legs). He convinced me to lay low in Charleston, take a day off to check some of its history and let my knee rest.
So this is where it all started turning for me. The sharing of cycle-travelling stories totally lifted my spirits again and here I am, in the States, by myself, cycling. And devouring it, taking it all in. That one mean lady in Florida tried to make me believe I am a homeless person but man, this whole beautiful planet is my home and I am on top of my game! I am where I need to be, always, at any time, as are you. I came, fell down hard, but I stood up again, with the love and support of my friends, family and all the friendly strangers I met along the way. This is going to work out!

1 comment:

  1. Suzanne and I are wondering where you are and how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete